Saturday, September 19, 2009

How I got here...

 Sooo... I am VERY bad with keeping diaries ...I never stick with them or they get lost. Then when I find them I wrip out the pages to start over haha...So I will jsut give this a try! :)


 Moved to Barcelona, Spain in April. Had been wanting to study abroad for such a long time and wanted to go to Spain in hopes of perhaps getting some of the language down.


So after working hard with my family an opportunity came and I took it. I spent three months in Barcelona at a language school and living in the student apartments. In that time I was able to get a beginning foundation of Spanish and meet some students from all over! I am now proud to say I have friends all over the World!


After my three months were up my Sister came from the states to stay with me for 6 weeks and we were going to travel. We did the trains with the Eurail which was a success. I showed her a little bit of Barcelona, not enough though! Then after that we headed to Paris where we stayed with two of my friends who I met in Barca. It was a blast we were the for Bastille's Day and saw the whole Eiffel tower light up and have a show. It was pretty amazing! Aswell as classics like the Notre Dame and the Louve with Mona Lisa.


 After this we headed for another friend's in London and enjoyed the crapy weather, although at times we DID get some sun. But the weather is SO bi-polar there that you always have an outfit that can be changed easily, added or subtracted. 


Then my Sister and I were on our own in Italy. We went to Venice ( My FAVORITE place), Florence ( Had the best Hostal stay), and Rome ( Saw the coolest monuments).


Then after my Sis left to the states I went to Madrid and moved in with a host family. Which was a disaster to begin with. She was an elderly woman who right when I entered to door said she was all about rules and handed me about 30 of them! haha And weird things as, do not brush ur hair in ur room, do not sleep with make up on, do not go in the fridge at night, dont eat or drink in ur room NOT EVEN WATER, etc. And the meals that we paid for were always salads because they were easy to make and were made for babies. Many of the times she was taking advantage of the students living with her. Anyways long story short I was moved in with a nice family a woman and her son who ahve been very good and generous to me. 


 Living with them has been an adventure of its own. The woman talks SUPER fast more faster normal talking spaniards haha. So I have learned to try and catch the words as the come as fast as possible. 3 Weeks now and it is MUCH easier. The son is a good kid, likes to do his own thing and he is nice to talk to. My living conditions are nice to especially compared to my last home. I took over the room where the woman;s eldest daughter used to live. And the bed is comfortable, I have internet access, a desk, a dresser, a closet, tv, and space to just put my things. It is a much better sourounding and I am allowed to drink water and brush my hair in my room. hahaha


My best friend in the whole wide world is coming to see me in four days and counting. Together him and I are going to check out Valencia, Sevilla, and Granada. I am very excited and happy that I am doing it with him.


At the moment I have been getting things together for my return. I will have another two months here in Madrid and then be on my way home. I have a feeling that it will go by fast and im hoping it does because as much as I love living in Europe. I really miss my family and would like to be with them for christmas. 


Sooo ....here is my first entry I hope people read this and give me their advice about living away from home a completly different country. If it is something everyone should be able to have a chance to do or if it could be by passed. I would never take back this trip I have learned SO MUCH! :)


Love,
Miranda

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Miranda. Wow, I am the first to comment.
    Well, as always, Your mommy and I are 100% behind anything our kids want to do. You and your sisters and brother are such gifts to us. We are so proud of you and want your lives to be filled with wonderful adventures.
    Good luck finding an apartment for 150 Eur per month. I think it's just under that per WEEK!
    We shall see, shan't we?
    love, papi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice part Miranda! Good to read.

    The sunday thing is normal here, just do your stuff before sunday, and chill all day on sunday. Its the day for Homework, getting out of hangovers, having birthdays from family, ect.

    And good luck with the apartment! I guess 150 euro is not enough.. Especially for a city like Madrid..

    Have fun with your road trip in Spain!

    X Arend

    ReplyDelete